New innovations allowed Tohatsu to introduce a new Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) four stroke outboard to its lineup; meet the 9.9hp EFI Sport. The lightest weight outboard in its class features exceptional torque and top end speed so you can get where you need to go in a flash. The battery-less EFI system on the MFS9.9 offers superior starting performance as compared to previous carbureted models. Also, with an EFI outboard, no choke is required during start up and you’ll notice smooth, crisp acceleration throughout all RPM ranges.
Tohatsu 9.9 hp EFI 4-Stroke Benefits
- Battery-less Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) operation
- Light and compact
- Advanced EFI for smooth operation, easier starting and increased fuel efficiency
- “Light Weight ECO Sport” development and design concept
- Simpliq™ Technology – the result of continuous technological innovation fueled by the pursuit of nothing less than the very best
- Designed with innovative technology
- Available in a wide variety of models
- Canister style oil filter for easy replacement
- A high quality, user-friendly fuel water separator
- Greatly reduced vibration for a smoother and quieter ride
- Ultra Low emission, EPA and CARB 3-Star rating approved
High Performance and Easy Operation
- Digital Electronic Control Unit (ECU) for immediate engine starting in all conditions, quicker throttle response and smoother trolling
- Battery-less EFI with recoil starter on all models
- Outboard is easier to lift and tilt into shallow drive because we’ve moved heavy components forward
- Large alternator and rectifier for superior battery charging*
- Multi-Function Tiller Handle: Stop Switch, Front Shift, Friction Adjusting Screw and Power Tilt Switch (PTS: on power tilt models only) integrated into the tiller handle for convenience
- Remote control model available
- Power Tilt Models come standard with high thrust 4-blade propeller
- 90 degree turning radius
Fundamentals for User Convenience and Reliability
- Through-the-prop exhaust for a quieter ride
- Thermostatically controlled cooling system for consistent engine temperature
- Stainless steel water pump housing liner for outstanding durability
- High grade marine aluminum alloy that provides the ultimate protection against corrosion
- Zinc coating on internal water passages for superior corrosion resistance
- 3.1 Gallon (12 liter) fuel tank includes fuel fittings and fuel line with fuel gauge on the cap
- Aluminum propeller
Warning and Protection
- Low oil pressure warning (visual and audible**)
- Safety lanyard (an essential protection feature standard on all Tohatsu outboards)
- Start-in-gear protection for safer engine starting
- Over-rev. limiter
Multi-Function Tiller Handle
Stop Switch, Front Shift, Friction Adjusting Screw and Power Tilt Switch (PTS: on power tilt models only) are integrated into the tiller handle for convenience.
Stowable Carrying Handle
We’ve incorporated a carrying handle on the front that can easily be tucked away when not in use.
Fuel Water Separator
A high quality, user-friendly fuel water separator is standard equipment on all EFI 20 | 15 | 9.9 motors. This unique yet simple fuel water separator doesn’t require the use of a single tool to drain the water.
Center of Gravity Improved
By moving heavy components (i.e. crankshaft, driveshaft) 30mm forward compared to the previous model, the tilting weight has decreased by 26% from the previous version, making it much easier for users to tilt manually.
Compact Fuel System Layout for Easy Maintenance
The Vapor Separator Tank (VST) has been designed to integrate the high pressure fuel feed pump, regulator, and fuel cooler into one component.